Next Letter:

G for ??? Date: Place:

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Agurkesalat (Cucumber Salad) from Danish Night

Serves about 12
  • 2 cups peeled, thinly sliced cucumbers
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • ground white pepper
  1. Peel and thinly slice cucumbers. Place them in a glass jar. Be sure to use a glass jar due to the vinegar. (2 cups is a good starting amount, but you can use up to 2 full cucumbers for the amount of vinegar and sugar.)
  2. Place vinegar and sugar in pot. Heat until sugar is dissolved. (You can add a couple of tablespoons of water if you feel that the vinegar is too strong.)
  3. Pour the vinegar and sugar over the cucumbers. Add white pepper to taste. (Black pepper is fine, but white is less noticeable.) Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. As you finish the cucumbers, you can slice some more and continue to use the liquid for some time.
I added a lot more sugar than 1/2 cup. After the cucumber was in the sauce for about an hour, I tasted it and added about 4 extra tsps of sugar.
I love this recipe and I have already made it for dinner on another occasion!

1 comment:

  1. This is probably my favourite recipe that I have found. I crave and make it all the time with the open sandwiches that Julia made!!

    ReplyDelete